Here’s sample strategies for children 12 to 24 months:
- Give lots of reminders – remembering rules takes time and practice.
- Explain to her why something is unsafe. Your toddler cannot predict what will happen next as a result of her actions.
- Distract or redirect your child to another activity when he is doing something undesirable. Explain why you are stopping him, and show him something else to do.
- Give your child lots of praise when he gets it right.
- Give your child the words for her feelings. She expresses her feelings in physical ways because she usually does not have the words or other ways to express them.
Get The Buzz every month by texting FAMILYSPEAK to 22828.