We know you have questions.

That’s why we’ve rounded up the most

popular ones and answered them in detail.

Where do I find parenting classes?

For more information, visit the Joint Initiatives Community Family Calendar HERE.

If you need a court-ordered class, see below. If you still have questions, call us for more information at 719.205.2691.

Please call for more information or to register for a Court-Approved Parenting Class: (Full details are provided below.)

(719) 227-9170 CASA or (719)477-9898 For Spanish Speakers

(719) 227-7477 Family Resource Network and Kaleidoscope Counseling

(719) 439-5683 or (719) 337-1795 Front Range Collaborative Co-Parenting

(719) 533-1088 Janet Jones, LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor)

(719) 201-0887 Parenting Center LLC, Janice Black, LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker)


Family Resource Network and Kaleidoscope Counseling:

  • Supervised Parenting Time
  • Separation & Divorce Classes
  • Mediation/CFI
  • Family Preservation
  • Parent/Child Interactions (Nurturing Parenting Classes)
  • Costs vary, (719) 227-7477, 6285 Lehman Drive, Suite 101, COS, CO 80918

Front Range Collaborative Co-Parenting: Joyce Miller, LPC, & Susan Swank, PsyD, LP

  • High Conflict Co-Parenting (Levels 3 & 4), Children’s Therapy, Reintegration Therapy, Parent- Child Interactions
  • Please visit website for a detailed description of services. Both parents must attend co-parenting class which is 8 weeks.
  • Call for pricing (approximately $85 per person): Susan Swank, PsyD, LP, (719) 439-5683, or Joyce Miller, LPC, (719) 337-1795

Janet Jones, LPC

  • Court-Ordered Level 2 Parenting Classes
  • Monthly classes: For the Kids: Co-Parenting Workshop
  • Call for pricing, Janetjoneslpc@comcast.net, (719) 533-1088 5555 Erindale Drive, Suite 203, Colorado Springs, CO 80918         

Parenting Center LLC, Janice Black, LCSW

  • Co-Parenting Classes
  • Child & Family Investigator
  • Parental Responsibilities Evaluator
  • Family Arbitrator Parent-Child Interactionals
  • Supervised and Therapeutic Visitations Provider
  • Psychological Testing
  • Also teaches Active Parenting Now and Birth to Three Years parenting
  • Call for pricing www.janiceblack.com, (719) 201-0887, Contact@JaniceBlack.com

Prices vary and some organizations take health insurance or offer sliding-scale fees based on income.

CASA-Court Appointed Special Advocates, Children and Families in Transition Seminar (CFIT): Court Ordered Supervised Exchanges and Supervised Parenting Time in cases of domestic violence, stalking, high conflict divorce and separation and Co-Parenting Classes.  In El Paso and Teller Counties, CFIT is required for all divorcing parents and allocation of parental responsibility cases of children between the ages of 0-18, within 45 days of filing and before final orders can be set. There will be a video shown that highlights the effects of the separation of parents on children and how to reduce negativity and help your child/ren in a proactive and positive manner. There will be an attorney and a mental health professional volunteering during their time at the class. Brief Q & A. Medicaid accepted, prices based on income. Visit CASA or call 719.477.9898

Dependency and Neglect Notes:

  • Parents can request that a CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) be assigned to their case.
  • Parents can request that a CFI (Child Family Investigator) be assigned to their case.
  • Parents can request that a CLR (Child Legal Representative) be assigned to their case.

Centro de la Familia: Strengthening Families Counseling/Advocacy provides free individual, family, couples, adolescent, and child-play therapy for adults and children with significant mental health, emotional, behavioral or crisis-oriented challenges needing resolution beyond basic advocacy. For Spanish Speakers. (719) 227-9170

  • Raising Children is a culturally relevant program to strengthen families while maintaining the family unit and ensuring the safety of children in the home; keeping families out of the legal/social services systems.
  • Yes I can! Provides an array of social services to Hispanic women and their children who are victims of domestic violence: support group, crisis intervention, personal/legal advocacy, a 24-hour emergency hotline and individual counseling. There is also a parallel program which provides a children’s therapeutic playgroup and child-play therapy for the children who have witnessed domestic violence or abuse to further enhance the healing process and increase family stability.      

How can I connect with other parents?

Free Playgroups at the City Auditorium

For more information, visit the Joint Initiatives Community Family Calendar HERE.


When your new to an area, getting connected will make the transition easier. Here are some ideas for connecting:

  • Get to know your child’s preschool teacher.
  • Spend a few minutes getting to know other parents when you pick up your child from child care.
  • Visit your local park.
  • Join your school’s PTA.
  • Find a Mothers of Preschoolers group near you.
  • Attend community events.
  • Call us! Lots of parents work for Alliance for Kids/FamilySPEAK. We’re happy to help you! 719.466.0099

For more information, visit the Joint Initiatives Community Family Calendar HERE.

Other resources for events include:
Pikes Peak Library District
Colorado Springs KIDS Magazine

Where can I find quality child care?

In the state of Colorado, a Colorado Shines rating system is used to measure quality in licensed early care and education programs. Using proven methods, it measures quality based on how an early learning program supports its children, families and professionals. Once ranked, Colorado Shines helps programs improve their quality rating/level and connect with families who are looking for quality child care.

To determine the level of quality of Colorado’s early learning programs for children ages 0-5 years old, Colorado Shines evaluates how each organization works to: 

  • support children’s health and safety
  • ensure their early childhood professionals are well-trained and effective
  • provide a supportive learning environment that teaches children new skills
  • help parents become partners in their child’s learning
  • demonstrate strong leadership and business practices

Once a rating has been established, Colorado Shines gives participating early learning programs the tools and support needed to consistently improve their quality. These resources include helping programs develop and implement a quality improvement plan and offering trainings and other opportunities for professional development.

  • Visit ColoradoShines.com.
    Colorado Shines gives parents and caregivers peace of mind as they search for licensed, quality child care and preschool programs. It offers information including location, hours, licensing status and, most importantly, the Colorado Shines quality rating of eligible programs. By engaging in this free process, families like yours can find the best early learning fit to get your children off to a strong start. Colorado Shines will help you identify elements of high quality child care and the importance of choosing quality.
  • Contact the Child Care Resource & Referral line: 877-338-2273
    This FREE custom referral line is available to help find early care and education providers in El Paso, Teller, and Elbert Counties that meet your family’s needs. Individuals calling this number will be greeted by the Colorado Shines Child Care Referral at Mile High United Way.
  • Mile High United way now has an Intake Form available for families looking for child care.
  • Contact Alliance for Kids. If you have more questions about quality child care, please call Alliance for Kids (719-205-2691).

Is there financial assistance for child care?

Financial assistance is available to families who may not be able to afford quality child care or preschool. The page below will take you to the Colorado Shines website FAQ page. Question #5 addresses assistance programs and will help you learn more about what’s available and how to apply.

Click here to learn more about assistance programs or read more below.

Colorado Child Care Assistance Program (CCCAP)
Colorado’s Office of Early Childhood offers child care subsidies for families who need help affording quality child care. CCCAP is a subsidy to help families that are homeless, working, searching for work or in school find low-income child care assistance. Families that are enrolled in the Colorado Works Program can also use CCCAP services.

Applying for CCCAP

Finding out if you are eligible for CCCAP and applying for benefits all takes place through the Colorado PEAK website. For more information about Colorado PEAK and links to the CCCAP application, visit Colorado PEAK.

Are there child behavior & health supports?

The Resource Exchange provides FREE  Early Childhood Services for parents and Early Care and Education programs.

ABOUT THIS RESOURCE (EARLY CHILDHOOD SPECIALISTS):  TRE staff trained in development and behavior assessment who will assist care providers and parents in planning and implementing interventions for the specified child to succeed or to improve an overall classroom’s support of children’s social emotional development. Early Childhood Specialists DO NOT provide diagnosis or evaluation. This is a free resource!


  • Children ages 0-8 who are showing disruptive behaviors in a child care center, family child care home, preschool or school setting within El Paso, Teller and Park Counties.
  • Classroom staff interested in consultation on implementing social emotional curriculum and strategies within El Paso, Teller and Park Counties.

WHEN: Meetings & assessment times will be coordinated based upon needs of the provider, parent, and child.

WHERE: The ECS will come to the child care center, family child care home, or preschool for assessments and meetings, and/or meet with parents in their home to provide coordinated service for the family and providers.

CONTACT US: 719.577.9190

Yes. This line is for parents and providers.


The Resource Exchange provides early Intervention services.

Early intervention provides developmental supports and services to children birth through three years of age, who have special developmental needs. It can help improve a child’s ability to develop and learn. It can also help parents and family members learn ways to support and promote a child’s development, within the family’s activities and community life. Because an infant or toddler learns through his or her interactions with caregivers, parents and other caregivers are important members of the early intervention team.

How does a family access early intervention services?

Anyone can refer a child under the age of three for whom they have a concern about the child’s development. Referrals can be made by calling (719) 577-9190. Once a child is referred for early intervention a service coordinator will be assigned for the family. The service coordinator will assist the family in learning more about early intervention, completing necessary paperwork to determine if the child is eligible for early intervention, and accessing other needed community resources.

Anyone can refer a child under the age of three for whom they have a concern about the child’s development. Referrals can be made by calling (719) 577-9190. Once a child is referred for early intervention a service coordinator will be assigned for the family. The service coordinator will assist the family in learning more about early intervention, completing necessary paperwork to determine if the child is eligible for early intervention, and accessing other needed community resources. For more information, visit TRE.org

Contact Us

If your question is not addressed above, you are welcome to contact us!