Click HERE to read the full edition of The Buzz (Part 1) and a link to local holiday events!
Look for Part 2 in mid-December!
Happy Holidays to all you parents and caregivers. This jolly season is a great chance to spend time with your child and strengthen those family bonds that promote healthy growth and brain development. Here are some tips to stimulate family engagement to make sure children feel loved and understood, so they can form that bond with their first teachers–you, your family, and friends!
New family and friends in a child’s life helps them learn about the world and the relationships around them.
- Tell family stories with puppets to increase her knowledge of relationships. Watch the video below to show you how!
- When you are having a meal with your family, sing the “Hello Everybody” song to each person. You sing, “Hello (the person’s name). How are you today?” and then the person answers. Have your child lead the song too!
- Family, friends, & neighbors play a huge role in caring for kids. All can create fun learning moments every day! Check out the Sesame Street video below to find out why these people are so important.
- It is normal for young ones to be shy around new friends. Encourage him and build his confidence.
- During an interaction with a new face hold your baby securely while you greet the person.
- Help him touch the person’s hand or offer the new the friend a toy.
- Invite the new friend to give him a toy, encouraging them to share a toy back and forth.
- If your child becomes comfortable being held by a new friend, make sure they stay close to you so he will feel safe and have the option to return to you.